Thesis Style and Format
Updated: Jan. 23, 2019
Style and Format
1. Use one font for your whole essay
Times New Roman (Windows) are recommended.
2. An abstract in English of not fewer than two hundred and not more five hundreds words shall be a part of each Thesis or Independent Study Report.
3. For the Text Body, use Double Space, font size 12 point or 11 point (if laser printer used).
4. You can use single space for "quotation paragraph and footnotes."
5. For the Headings, one can use bold, and bigger font size can be used (16, 14).
6. It is recommended to use style format (Do not format manually), such as Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, Body Text, Quote, Title.
Heading 1 (font size 16)
Heading 2 (font size 14, Bold)
Heading 3 (font size 14)
Heading 4 (font size 12, Bold)
Body Text (font size 12)
7. Page numbering should be placed in the center bottom of the page.
The Roman numerals (lower case, italic) should be used Front matters/Preliminaries which include Abstract, Acknowledgements, Table of Contents, Abbreviations.
No page numbering for Title page and Declaration.
8. No footer or header should be used for the Thesis and Independent Study Report.
9. Page size is A4, all margins (top, down, left and right) should be set as 1 inch. Left margin can be 1.25 for the purpose of binding.
10. For Romanized Pali and Sanskrit letters, the following Unicode fonts are recommended.
New Time Roman (version 5, from Windows Vista supports all Pali Diacritic Letters) is recommended for MS Windows 7, 8, 9
Thesis and Independent Study Report Printing and Binding Guide.
11. The College permits the student to submit their Theses and Independent Study Reports in temporary binding for examination purposes. Each copy of the Thesis or Independent Study Report with its Declaration preceding the title page, shall be bound in three volumes using soft covers.
12. The final copy of the Thesis shall be bound in three volumes, with its Declaration preceding the title page, with the title, name of author, degree, and date to be lettered in gilt on the front cover and spine in accordance with the standard layout approved by the College.
Hard cover for:
MA Thesis ____(red)_______ colour
Ph.D. Dissertation _____(black)___________colour
13. The final copy of the Independent Study Report shall be bound in three volumes, with its Declaration preceding the title page, with the title, name of author, degree, and date to be written on the front cover in accordance with the standard layout approved by the College.
Hard cover (with glossy paper 200 g/m² only) for:
Independent Study ______(Green) ______colour
13. One CD Rom containing the soft copy of the completed Thesis as a single PDF file is attached when the final Thesis or independent study Report is submitted.
The Chicago Manual of Style and MLA Style are recommended.
MLA Style Guide with Samples
Based on the MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing, New York: Modern Language Association of America, 7th edition.
Please Note: In the bibliography, all lines after the first should be indented.
Citing Print Resources
|Type of Entry||Bibliography||Footnote|
|Book with one author||Frye, Northrop. Anatomy of Criticism: Four Essays. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1957.||1 Northrop Frye, Anatomy of Criticism: Four Essays (Princeton: Princeton UP, 1957) 32-34.|
|Book with more than one author||Bonadella, Peter, and Julie Conaway Bonadella, eds. Dictionary of Italian Literature. Westport: Greenwood, 1979.||2 Peter Bonadella, and Julie Conaway Bonadella, eds., Dictionary of Italian Literature (Westport: Greenwood, 1979).|
|Translator of the scriptures||The Book of the Discipline V1. Trans. I. B. Horner. London: PTS, 1949.||The Book of the Discipline V1. Trans. I. B. Horner (London: PTS, 1949): 121.|
|Anonymous Author||"Portents for Future Learning." Time 21 Sept. 1981: 65.||3 "Portents for Future Learning," Time 21 Sept. 1981: 65.|
|Multi-volume set||Churchill, Winston S. The Age of Revolution. New York: Dodd, 1957. Vol. 3 of A History of the English-Speaking Peoples. 4 vols. 1956-58.||4 Winston S. Churchill, The Age of Revolution, (New York: Dodd, 1957). Vol. 3 of A History of the English-Speaking Peoples. 4 vols. 1956-58.|
|Journal article (continuous pagination)||Spear, Karen. "Building Cognitive Skills in Basic Writers." Teaching English in the Two Year College 9 (1983): 91-98.||5 Karen Spear, "Building Cognitive Skills in Basic Writers," Teaching English in the Two Year College 9 (1983): 91-98.|
|Journal article (paginated by issue)||Monk, Patricia. "Frankenstein's Daughters: The Problems of the Feminine Image in Science Fiction." Mosaic 13.3-4 (1980): 15-27.||6 Patricia Monk, "Frankenstein's Daughters: The Problems of the Feminine Image in Science Fiction," Mosaic 13.3-4 (1980): 15-27.|
|Newspaper article||Dalin, Damon. "A $7 Greeting Card? Yes, But listen to the Melody It Will Play For You." Wall Street Journal 10 May 1983, eastern ed.: 37.||7 Damon Dalin, "A $7 Greeting Card? Yes, But listen to the Melody It Will Play For You," Wall Street Journal 10 May 1983, eastern ed.: 37.|
Citing Electronic Resources
|Type of Entry||Bibliography||Footnote|
|Online journal (using volume and page format)||Simon, Joal A., Esther S. Hudes. "Relationship of Ascorbic
Acid to Blood Lead Levels."JAMA 281 (1999): 2289-2293.
Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://www.ama-assn.org/
|8Joal A. Simon and Esther S. Hudes, "Relationship of Ascorbic Acid to Blood Lead Levels," JAMA 281 (1999): 2289-2293,
Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/
|Online journal (no volume or page information)||"A New Treatment for Low Back Pain." Alternative Health
News Online 22 Oct.1998. Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://www.altmedicine.com/app/
|9 "A New Treatment for Low Back Pain," Alternative Health
News Online 22 Oct.1998, Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://www.altmedicine.com/app/
|Online Database or Web Site||The THCME Medical Biochemistry Page. Ed. Michael W.
King. August 16, 1999. Terre Haute Center for Medical
Education. Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://web.indstate.edu/
|10 The THCME Medical Biochemistry Page, ed. Michael W. King, August 16, 1999, Terre Haute Center for Medical Education, Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://web.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/home.html>.|
Web Resources for MLA Style
How to write footnotes in MLA Style: https://www.aresearchguide.com/7footnot.html
Sample Footnote in MLA Style: https://www.aresearchguide.com/samplefootnote.html
- Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting and Style Guide This resource offers examples for the general format of MLA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the Works Cited page.
- MLA Reference Examples Handout From the Wayne State University Libraries. May be printed and downloaded.
- Academic Citation Resource Guide
Download MLA Style Guide PDF Files